ADVERTISEMENT

Providence is the enemy again

laidbackcoach

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2001
California
1987 - I attended my first Big East basketball tournament as I had been playing lacrosse for the Hoyas as an underclassman and stopped playing before my junior year.

March 6, 1987 - MSG - Georgetown had beaten BC in the BE quarterfinals in game 1. In game 2, Providence was crushing St. John's midway through the second half. Their student section, parked right next to Providence's was feeling it and erupted into a loud "Georgetown's next" chant.

Fueled by a bit of beer and my first time at the BET, I stood on my chair and mooned the entire Providence student section (I was not as laidback in my youth). Within seconds, I was surrounded by law enforcement who proceeded to kick me out a side door of Madison Square Garden onto the street (was just happy not to be arrested). My hatred for PC began that day.

As some of you may recall, we crushed Providence in the semis and then beat Cuse to win that Conference tournament. Then Providence went on to the Final Four that year beating us in the Elite Eight to get there so they got the best of us that year. To me, 1987 is when the Providence rivalry was formed.

It seems to be back again big time . . . although I am done mooning people as part of the rivalry.

It is good to be hated again!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News