ADVERTISEMENT

Write to the AD

bishamex

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
I'm really concerned that we are going to get minor changes to the program. I wrote to the AD at athleticdirector@georgetown.edu. I'm sure he'll never see it but I'm hopeful that we can all share our thoughts in a professional way and have enough people do it that he might respond. I know it might seem useless, but I'm just tired of only complaining on this board. Also tried to appeal to his ego. Here is what I wrote

Mr. Reed,

I am writing to express my disappointment with the state of affairs of the men's basketball team. I write this message, not from a place of anger, but of great sadness. Outside of the men's and women's basketball teams and football team, it appears that you have experienced great success as an AD. From the outside looking in and conversing with those who have greater inside knowledge it appears you exert little to no control over the direction of the basketball team. I think that is a flaw, as I have been told that you are highly competent.

Interest in the team is at an all time low. Attendance is terrible. The team that Coach Ewing assembled is clearly not Big East caliber. While many are clamoring for a new coach, I am writing to encourage you to consider a complete overhaul of the operation. To use a real estate example, Georgetown Men's Basketball needs to be torn down all the way to the foundation and be rebuilt. Your legacy as an AD depends upon it. There is little to no goodwill left with fans. You cannot run a clandestine operation with little modern fan engagement when you do not have consistent success. You cannot continue to rent our the Capital One Arena when you can't even fill the lower bowls. You can't keep doing the same things as 15-30 years ago and expect any success. It's just sad to keep doing all of these things.

If the administration and alumni with influence are comfortable with how things stand, please tell the fans. We needs to know the expectations that you all have for the team. If there is a lack of alignment between you and us, we need to know that so we can adjust our expectations.

John Thompson is best know for being a great coach and a pioneer. But he was also a fearless risk taker. You do not honor his legacy by how the program is run today. What I see is a program that is anchored down by an ideal that no longer works today. I see a program that carries itself like a national power, while residing in the bottom of the Big East.

I beg you not to just put a band-aid on this massive wound. I beg you have the courage to make massive structural change. I beg you to engage with the fans at a level which will be uncomfortable for you and the basketball operations. I beg you to break from the damaging behavior while still honoring the legacy of John Thompson.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News