ADVERTISEMENT

team on x (at verizon)

ron19

Staff
Aug 6, 2001
DSR

on get back: "hopefully second crack at it, we can get it done.

"it's always redemption when you lose early in the season and get a second crack at a team. The same thing with Butler when we played them earlier in the Bahamas we got a second crack at them and got that done, so hopefully we can do it again".

on what x does offensively well: "transition. they don't play with a conscious. Everybody on that team is very capable of scoring the ball at a high rate. It makes them deadly.

carved up depaul 4 around 1 how to stop it? "I mean, man up you have do defend one on one at some point. It's you and that person, you have to stop the ball from going in. Whatever it takes".

vs marq perimeter def bad. how to improve? "Just be more aggressive man. Guys can really shoot the ball in this league...Close out harder. Defend the ball, help each other out.

when a guy hits 30 footer, what's feeling? "I honestly can't answer that question (laughter). Doing it myself is a different feeling (laughter). I know how it feels to make the shot. Therefore you know, defenisvely it's like 'You made that one so I'm going to make sure you don't get it off next time'. "

him guarding key scorers down stretch your role now? "whatever's necessary...whatever it takes"

pay attention to rankings? "it matters. i can't say that it doesnt. we try not to pay much attention to it.

on tc vs marq "played great. i told him even before the game stay aggressive. and be ready to shoot the ball".

josh
on stains: "to be honest he's one of the few guys that are closer physique in the country. He's a big dude, and for me to say that is a lot. But he's a good player".

"he's a play maker outside of scoring he's a really good passer"

four around 1 "....in that i just have to be physical with him, try and force him to take touch shots. That's part of the thing that helped us with the Marquette game, because Fischer you now is a load on the block too. Anytime you get a guy farther away from the basket it's going to be harder for him to score".

be vs pac 12...the grind is different. part o the reason i wanted to come over here is you hear so much about the BIG EAST. I remember the year I think they got 11 or 13 teams in the NCAA Tournament. It's not the same how it was with Syracuse, Louisville, Notre Dame, Pitt, teams like that were in there, but we've still got really good teams.
It's a grind. I mean you see it now. I know we're on top of the conference right now in the standings, but every team in our conference can beat each other...you can't look past anybody you just have to come out there and play.

better conditioning helping in minutes and rebounds? "i feel alot different i did last year. obviously i can still do more. (It's) More so just having more energy. After I found out i played 31 minutes, i was just like 'Wow, I can't remember the last time I played 31 minutes going back to maybe high school or middle school.

"It's one of those where i feel like it's helped me out. And maybe not so much with the offense but trying you know, just controlling the boards. Giving us more opportunities on offense, limiting teams to one shot on defense".

on reynolds: "you just said it, he was more physical than us last time we played them. his energy really helped them. we just have to make sure we limit him on the glass, and try to make sure he doesn't out-tough us. We have to go out there and be the tougher team".

hops

on x before: "they kind of bullied us in the paint".

stains in 4 around 1: "really good player patient on offense. patient going into his moves and if he sees a double team he definitely is willing to kick it out. That's something we really have to focus on because you have to give him attention, you can't leave a person one on one against him down there because of his size and skill set. but you also can't lose guys guys on the perimeter because he's a good passer".

rankings "you pay attention to it because it's on tv..and the students on campus talk about it. But the last time we played xavier we were ranked and they knocked us off".

reynolds: "I think i mentioned his earlier, he was a hard matchup for Isaac and Paul, because he was physical. So we've been working with them on their post defense, putting a lot of attention on that, allowing those guys to get better and more comfortable banging down low".

jt3

lj and tray status? "as if right now, i'm not sure...if either one of them is going to play. They didn't practice yesterday. they're both in getting treatment right now so we'll find out shortly what today brings".

tray's injury? thigh contusion. pretty deep.
neither one of them are out for any significant time (tray's happened in practice)

on x: "the first time we played them, they handled us pretty easily. On both ends of the court. They took us out of what we wanted to do offensively, which our frustrations on offense led to lapses on defense.

"...We were rushing things. Offensively it was one pass shot. two pass shot. I throw it to you, and you try your array of moves, then you throw it to the next person and they try their array of moves. We didn't look like a cohesive unit, offensively. and that led to frustrations and breakdowns on defense".

"stains four around 1: he is an outstanding passer as well as a threat on the blocks. And so you have to dig down or double or pay special attention to him. But then at the same time they surround him with shooters.

"It's not coaching magic formula, it just takes a lot of work. we have to dig down, we have to support our post players, but make sure our closeouts are hard, fast, our rotations defensively are sharp and good.

But he makes you pay...just with his ability to score and pass the ball.

on blueiett; he's coming along, he's a natural scorer...They (stains and bluiett) play off each other well".

on pace. "i've said at the beginning the season we want to get out and run. And as it pertains to quick shots in the half court, i don't mind, never have minded quick shots as long as it's a good shot. i don't want to throw it up there for the sake of saying we're shooting fast. But if we get a good shot, we can take a good shot, whenever".

zone offense vs marq: "we did do a better job of attacking their zone different ways. We did a good job of not just getting the ball into the short corner, I mean not just getting the ball into the middle, which they do an outstanding job job taking that away, but getting it down to the baseline and playing out of that.

"and we did a better job than we had in other games of looking. We've had a few games of passing around the perimeter. we haven't looked inside. we made a conscious effort to throw it inside; not necessarily to score but if you can make a play out of that.

"so i think we attacked, if you want to use that word, a little better in that game then we have been.

fts: he's been a lot more focused (hops) as much as anything we've done a better job of getting to the line

perimeter def and count against for 30 footers? "if they have a reputation for doing that yes.

that play at the end of the game, I mean their last two threes, the one Carlino hit than the one (wilson shot)...those were tough, contested shots. we couldn't do anything different defensively. good players make good plays sometimes. Those two at least were good players making good players.

but that being said, early on we had some confusion. the other 11 that they had we weren't as tight...as we had been with that".

on x: "...they do an outstanding job of sharing the game".

josh getting 15 caroms vs marq: "josh should get 15 rebounds. he should have a couple games where he gets a lot more than that. I think the Marquette game, he did a very good job of pursuing the ball. A lot of times Josh just gets the ones that come right here...he has to do that. he's focused more on it".

on where his team is: "we're getting better. we haven't arrived yet and the guys have to get better at all areas. but this might sound like a small thing and it's not, the guys like each other. and there's a sense of selflessness that i'm just as happy for you if you're scoring. If we can get that same selflessness on defense, if we can help each other out a little more, we'll be okay.

"the guys are throwing it to the open man and the open man is somebody who can score. some teams the open man wasn't someone who can score".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News