ADVERTISEMENT

thompson and mcdermott on ball sharing/this vs last year's team

ron19

Staff
Aug 6, 2001
Thompson on his team's ball sharing vs creighton

"i think if you go back and look at our last game, and then look at this game, our offense the difference is light years apart in that we made the extra pass today. The ball moved around. The guys did a very good job of sharing it.

"We have very good offensive players...And we have a threat inside and we have guys that can make shots outside. So when they move the ball, we're going to end up with good shots.

"The last game, and I'm not trying to put it all on us and take anything away from Xavier, but it was a series of I throw it to you, you work on your one on one moves, if it doesn't work you throw it to the next guy. We didn't have any movement. It was too stagnant.

"Today, they did a really good job of staying with our sets , moving it to the next person, the next person, and you end up with a good shot. I mean we end up shooting 75% in the second half".

mcdermott on this year's hoya unit and impact of smith

"i think last year, Starks and Smith-Rivera seemed to dominate the ball alot. John put them in situatins where those two guys were going to take the lions share of the shots.

'they have more weapons now. And Josh just creates a whole set of problems when he's in the game becuase you have to, have to commit more than one guy to him. We're not blessed with a guy like Stainbrook where you can just play one on one and take your chances. So we had to commit more and he's a good enough passer he gets it out of there and he can hurt you.

"the fact that you are committing more, you are a little late getting out to the shooter and now they're knocking it down in the second half (was crucial).

"So I really like their team. I think it's a team as the season goes on it's just going to continue to get better and better as those young guys continue to improve and unerstand the role that John wants them to play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News