ADVERTISEMENT

what was shared with bluejaybanter.com...

ron19

Staff
Aug 6, 2001
rivals member site.

will be on their radio show postgame. will supply info for it.

transcript:

The opponent right now is so far down the list of Creighton problems. I have a couple of questions- most about JTIII

1-Hopkins and Trawick can at times look athletically intimidating. Does their inconsistent play keep Georgetown from being an elite team (or thinking back to last year a good team)

I think Hopkins' up and down performance is more hindering than Trawick's.

Jabril is a rough and tumble slasher who is an okay shooter, not a good one, a guy that's going to compete and help drive the team, give it some ethos. Everybody knows it. Anecdote: Xavier's coach told his team the other day Trawick was not going to shoot, he was going to drive, with his right.

Hopkins on the other hand is the team's best perimeter defender and interior defender. But his cheap and sometimes inexplicable fouls dent the senior's impact. Also, Mikael misses by the far the most shots in the paint on G'Town, shooting around 38%, not good for a guy who ONLY really shoots in the paint, and came to the program a fairly accomplished mid-range guy. Nevertheless if Hopkins plays well, the Hoyas are at another level. He's this year's enigma.

2-how Josh Smith performed to expectations and how us his stamina?

Smith has both met expectations - large ones given his size, athletic ability given good feet, hands and intelligence - and not done son - for the most part, Josh's work on the boards has been inadequate (6.3 rpg, which to be fair is on the uptick.

Defensively he's become better in on-ball situations, which Creighton will challenge him with. He's not Pat Ewing in that regard, but has improved, a point JTIII has recognized.

In terms of stamina, Smith returned from summer break in better condition. While home in Seattle, he not only sold women's shoes at Nordstrom (a true and funny story), but worked out and ran ball with college and pro guys from that area. He can still get slap happy and foul prone when fatigued, and has averaged only 22.2 pg with a season high of 31. But Smith's conditioning has improved this season.

3-because of JTIII lack of post season success is the fan base getting impatient? Could your AD ever make a move with the imposing presence of Senior always there?

Hard hitting question (lol). There are parts of the fan base that are somewhat impatient, but that's a distinct minority. The Hoya Nation is happy with a top 25 caliber program that wins the right way and graduates its players, whether John Thompson, Jr. is there or not. JTIII has amply delivered that. G'Town has also tasted Big Dance success, though there have certainly been some tourney flameouts.

4-how does the fan base view JTIII's in game coaching skills?

Like any group of fans, the complaints rise when the team loses, and the applause increases with wins. From doing this for around a decade, personally I've learned like anything, sometimes people know what they are talking about, sometimes they don't. I think the fact coaches respect his in-game strategy and approach speak to his ability to coach.

5- how shocking was the margin of defeat to X and do you see the teams confidence hurt, with that and the loss to Butler in the non con

I thought giving up a 17 point defeat to X, during Christmas break mind you was a bad loss, but the final number was a bit misleading, as foul shots padded it. The fact they came out flat and were outplayed basically throughout, gave up some threes on kick/skip and didn't execute on both sides of the ball was more shocking.

Will the loss hurt confidence? I don't think so, at least after today's pre-game presser that wasn't evident. This team does seem to be resilient emotionally.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News