ADVERTISEMENT

Lots of Negativity on Internet - Is it Justified

laidbackcoach

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2001
California
I have seen a lot of people criticizing the negativity of Hoyas fans and HoyaNation on the internet. The negativity is justified and explainable in my opinion.

Most fans simply want a basketball program they can be proud of. Instead, over the last decade there has been very little for Hoyas fans to be proud of on the court. And . . . in the last 1.5 years, not only is there not pride, but instead, that pride has been replaced with embarrassment. The program has fallen so low, that it is literally embarrassing to be affiliated with the program the last 1.5 year. Winning basketball is a big part of what brings pride. However, the embarrassment stems not just from the poor record, but also from a look at (1) the teams that we lose to (Dartmouth, St. Joe's LMU, American, South Carolina 2x), (2) the way we lose (either getting blown out or losing in second half after holding a double digit lead), (3) the way we win (barely beating teams like Longwood, Coppin State UMBC, Siena and LaSalle), (4) the way we defend, (5) our simplistic offensive schemes, (6) our player turnover, (7) the way we turn the ball over, (80 our poor attendance, (9) the fact that despite the poor record our coach appears to be blindly supported by the administration in a way that no other coach would ever be, (10) the fact that our coach keeps blaming the very players that he recruited to the program as the root of the problems, and (11)other items that I am sure many can list here if they wanted to expand.

To expect the fan base to not become negative in light of all of this, is unrealistic and ridiculous. Most of the negativity is directed towards the head coach and the administration and not the players. This appears to me to be well placed because with few exceptions, it seems like the most of the players are giving their best efforts on the court most of the time despite the adversity and obstacles. Personally, I feel badly for many of the players and many others affiliated with the program.

We all just want a basketball program that makes us proud to be affiliated with, whether as alumni, fans, former players/managers etc. Right now, we have one that we are embarrassed about. Until that changes, the negativity will not go away. I am generally a positive person and tend to be an optimist. I was one of the last people to become anti_ewing (at least as our coach). I supported the hire. In the first 2-3 years, I thought he deserved not to be fired and to give him a fair chance to get behind the wheel and make the program his own even after things started getting worse. After the BET win in 2021, I certainly did not think he should get an extension, but believed he deserved another year as things were looking up and the Hoyas were finally playing some defense. Last year was a complete disaster. It turned me. I wanted him fired after last year. However, when he brought in Nickelberry and Baldwin, promoted Clinton and brought in what appeared to be a talented transfer class and highly touted freshman guard from NJ, I had renewed hopes that we could be a .500 team this year (one of the reasons I was one of a very few fans who decided to go to Jamaica before Thanksgiving). Those hopes were crushed with the LMU loss and buried with the American loss.

I am not proud to be a Hoya fan and supporter and it is a bit embarrassing to support this program at this time. Realistically, I do not see how pride can emerge and the embarrassment can be avoided and anything can materially change under Patrick Ewing. It seems to me from what I read and others that I talk to at least 90% of Hoya Nation agrees. The negativity is justified and will remain until material change occurs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News