ADVERTISEMENT

network share: naso on nova in pa

ron19

Staff
Aug 6, 2001

1) Since Nova beat Gtown by 16 points, they've gone 0-3, losing by 8, 10 and 8 to Xavier, DePaul, Butler, respectively. What's shaking with the 'Cats?

There's a couple issues plaguing the 'Cats since the last Georgetown meeting. The first, and biggest, is poor defense. 'Nova has given up 88, 75 and 79 points in the three games since beating Georgetown and has really struggled to defend the way we're used to seeing Villanova teams defend. Pick and roll defense has been particularly problematic, but there's been general breakdowns and miscommunications as well.

The other two issues kind of go hand in hand: inconsistency and an ability to close games. 'Nova will play stretches where it looks like the team many thought it could be, but these stretches only last 7-10 minutes. The 'Cats just haven't been able to put together a full 40 minute game. This is actually something that has plagued them all season. Similarly, Villanova was in position to win each of those previous three games, with leads in the second half and/or being within a few possessions late, and just haven't been able to execute down the stretch. This is another issue that has shown up in many of the team's close losses this season.

Also, Jordan Longino hasn't returned to the lineup since going down in the last meeting between 'Nova and Georgetown, something that hasn't helped.

2) Is Neptune's seat warm? What's Nova Nation's temp on him?

There's a stark divide among the fan base. There's one section that is preaching patience. That section notes that Neptune hasn't had his full roster for much of the season and that there will be growing pains for a new head coach, especially one with just one year of experience coming in. That group wants to let Neptune take his lumps and give him time to establish himself. However, there's another section that is much less forgiving and feels like it has seen enough to know Neptune isn't the man for the job. I think some of it is driven by concern about the long-term damage that could be done if Neptune doesn't turn it around/get it on track in the next year. Regardless, this group is ready to move on. It's probably about 70-30 in favor of the patience crowd right now, but I could see it getting close to 50-50 if things continue as they've gone over the past six games or so.

3) What's the read on #22? Seems to show both moments of dominance and internal disruption, in the same game.

Yeah, Whitmore is a fascinating player. Athleticism through the roof, incredible strength and a skillset you don't really expect from a player his size. He has the ability to take games over and has often looked like the best player on the floor for either team this season. Arguably the most talented freshman Villanova has ever had. However, he is a freshman, so he's still raw. There's some occasional decision-making issues, his ball-handling needs to get a bit tighter at the next level, but I think his biggest issue is simply trying to do too much. I think he sees the team struggling and he wants to do everything he can to pull them out of it, and that has led him to force things a bit, which I think has kind of amplified the usual freshman mistakes. When he lets the game come to him and just relies on his physical gifts and skills, he can takeover the game.

4) Give me an MVP not named Daniels

If 'Nova had gone, say, 4-2 over its last six instead of 1-5, you might be able to make a case for Whitmore. But the answer has to be Eric Dixon. 16.5 points, 6.5 rebounds, 51.6% shooting and 36.9% from three. Just so steady and solid. Villanova has looked most cohesive and competent on offense when running it through Dixon.

5) How does the fan base feel about Arch's brother, who struggles mightily?

This is another issue where there is a bit of a split, but one where there is a loud majority that is anti-Arch, at least in his current role. He has been really steady with the ball and he brings intangibles that are important for a winning team. But to have him as your starting guard and playing 30 minutes, the offensive downside really catches up to you and that's the biggest beef the fans have. I think if he was coming off the bench playing 10-15 minutes a night he would have near-universal support.

6) Outcome?

I again find myself struggling with this question, as it's been a long time since a 'Nova team has lost five of six games or has been under .500, so I really have no idea how they are going to respond on Monday. However, with the desperation and the benefit of having played Georgetown recently and with success, I'll predict a double-digit 'Nova win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News