ADVERTISEMENT

transfers & decommits ahead of '24-25 season

Just gimme one more win this season… one more win… and I’m fully back on the delusion train. I know three wins are pathetic but they need to show even the smallest amount of improvement over Ewing to shake off this overall feeling of despair. Not saying I’d feel good about it, but at least you can put the blinders on for another offseason and continue have faith our trajectory is upwards.

Someone on Hoyatalk floated AJ Hoggard from Michigan State for the PG. He seems a better match to Epps, and has his Covid year remaining. Looks like he could help defensively and with running the team. With a $5M budget, I would think we should have enough to get this guy.

I think Dug and Mintz are good scorers. On first analysis, they look like lousy matches to Epps.

Someone on Hoyatalk floated AJ Hoggard from Michigan State for the PG. He seems a better match to Epps, and has his Covid year remaining. Looks like he could help defensively and with running the team. With a $5M budget, I would think we should have enough to get this guy.

I think Dug and Mintz are good scorers. On first analysis, they look like lousy matches to Epps.
FYI I don’t think that $5M is guaranteed. Our NIL is in flux - $5M is probably the upper limit of what it could be.

Whatever the actual number is it’s def plenty to add impact transfers
Def. We along with Nova will have the most dough in the conference. We’ll be competitive with every school in the country. Unfortunately to land kids we’ll probably have to pay a premium to get them to overlook the mess these last few seasons.

FYI I don’t think that $5M is guaranteed. Our NIL is in flux - $5M is probably the upper limit of what it could be.
That is fine. I trust that Cooley will have the patience and insight to find the pieces that fit best and not the flashiest. Give a player who fits really well $1M he is not going to otherwise make overseas. We don’t need 20PPG from a PG. We need him to run the offense, get the most out of everyone else, disrupt the opponent’s offensive rhythm and be a leader on the floor. That is what scares me about Dug and Mintz.

Reactions: Yaboynyp
If Cooley and his team really have something like $5M to spend and all this time at Georgetown ... should be very few excuses to field a winner next year. They really just need 2 or 3 real transfers. At some point Georgetown's money is just as good as any other school.

I wonder what Dual's future is with Providence. Noticed he did not play against UConn. Not sure if it was injury related or not. It is wild he was generating some "one and done" buzz this time last year. He is basically unplayable right now with how bad he is on offense.

I wonder what Dual's future is with Providence. Noticed he did not play against UConn. Not sure if it was injury related or not. It is wild he was generating some "one and done" buzz this time last year. He is basically unplayable right now with how bad he is on offense.

just remember that Dual not coming to Georgetown was a Cooley decision and not a Dual decision

Would you take him? If he can clean up his turnovers then I would because his defensive versatility is elite and I think you can hide him on an offense that ran out Mintz, Epps, Fielder, and stud 5 man alongside him. Or even Epps, Styles, Stud PF, and Stud C.

Would you take him? If he can clean up his turnovers then I would because his defensive versatility is elite and I think you can hide him on an offense that ran out Mintz, Epps, Fielder, and stud 5 man alongside him. Or even Epps, Styles, Stud PF, and Stud C.
I think I'd want to know who else we are bringing in before answering that. I agree he has a ton of tools and still has a high upside. He's just extremely raw and I'm not sure that this program needs that right now.

If the budget is really there, I would like to aim higher. Dual wouldn't have been a difference-maker on last year's team.

No way. Why would we want him?

getting vibes and rumblings about hoyas players possibly leaving.

hope it's not true. =BUT....it's not like they were world beaters. ahahh

Kazor?Kazoo?? Didn't have this on my bingo card. Hahah

Dude works out hard as hell. Hahaha

No surprise. This had to be a very negative experience for virtually all players. And this generation, when its negative . . . they jumps ship a lot quicker than in the past. Hope it aint a complete mass exodus but I would be shocked if Rowan, Epps, Styles, Cook and Fielder all end up staying.

No surprise. This had to be a very negative experience for virtually all players. And this generation, when its negative . . . they jumps ship a lot quicker than in the past. Hope it aint a complete mass exodus but I would be shocked if Rowan, Epps, Styles, Cook and Fielder all end up staying.
On the other hand, if the aim is winning many of those players would likely be transferring to a place where their role would be seriously diminished. When you consider why most of them transferred here originally I’m guessing that would weigh heavily.

Last edited:
Kazor?? He only played in one game all year for a minute. Probably a good move

On the other hand, if the aim is winning every single one of those players would likely be transferring to a place where their role would be seriously diminished. When you consider why most of them transferred here originally I’m guessing that would weigh heavily.
I would hope that for a number of them, their role would be materially diminished with the Hoyas as well. If not, we have not recruited that well.

Let’s weed out the ones that don’t fit Cooley system in year 1. I’m good with it. I said it once before not everyone on this years team fits Cooley style. He is looking for tough physical skilled players. I’d expect us to bring in at least 3-4 players from the transfer portal with experience to go along with our incoming freshmen. Another guard, wing and 2 bigs (pf/c)

Last edited:
What is the downside of putting your name in the portal?

The only one I can think of is that if you are a marginal player you could lose your spot on your current team. Otherwise, it seems to ensure you will get a max offer either from your new team or your old team.

Sadly, this seems to be the state of the market.

Player improvement is also a possibility. Happens all the time.
Yep. I agree. That is why I said I hope "a number of them" will have reduced roles I would hope and expect that 1, and maybe even 2 of our returning guys improve significantly and be able to be much better in 24-25. We have not seen that happen much in the last few years. So that would be a pleasant change.

Neither Heath, Mutombo nor Bristol improved hardly at all over last year as an example. But expecting 3-4 of these guys to improve to a level that we need in order to become a top half Big East team is not realistic. In fact it is close to unprecedented.

Yep. I agree. That is why I said I hope "a number of them" will have reduced roles I would hope and expect that 1, and maybe even 2 of our returning guys improve significantly and be able to be much better in 24-25. We have not seen that happen much in the last few years. So that would be a pleasant change.

Neither Heath, Mutombo nor Bristol improved hardly at all over last year as an example. But expecting 3-4 of these guys to improve to a level that we need in order to become a top half Big East team is not realistic. In fact it is close to unprecedented.
So the main guy you would want to keep is cook?

What is the downside of putting your name in the portal?

The only one I can think of is that if you are a marginal player you could lose your spot on your current team. Otherwise, it seems to ensure you will get a max offer either from your new team or your old team.

Sadly, this seems to be the state of the market.

my brother in law (div 1 head coach) shared with me the numbers of all the kids who lost scholarships by portaling and it was shocking

there is a huge downside for many

my brother in law (div 1 head coach) shared with me the numbers of all the kids who lost scholarships by portaling and it was shocking

there is a huge downside for many

Those are the marginal players to which I was referring. For the starters, I speculate it will become pretty standard for most.

From looking at the stat sites, Coleman Hawkins would be a huge pick-up offensively and defensively. Let's hope that happens.

Plus athlete. Good length. Would be a solid rotation piece with multiple years of eligibility.

If Preston Murphy comes I'd keep an eye on on Coleman Hawkins from Illinois if he decides to play Grad Transfer year elsewhere. Supposedly a relationship there from his Prolific (CA) days.
He’s a stud

From looking at the stat sites, Coleman Hawkins would be a huge pick-up offensively and defensively. Let's hope that happens.
Coleman is a Sacramento kid. I coached against him when he was a soph at Antelope HS. I have followed his career closely He would be a huge pick up for us as a stretch 4 and a difference maker. No doubt. He would likely be a round 2 nba pick if he went this summer.

Reactions: daymondmyles
Coleman is a Sacramento kid. I coached against him when he was a soph at Antelope HS. I have followed his career closely He would be a huge pick up for us as a stretch 4 and a difference maker. No doubt. He would likely be a round 2 nba pick if he went this summer.
He’s kinda like a point forward almost ..

Sabonis is bigger and stronger and more of a post player then Hawkins but both great passers .. Hawkins is a nba player for sure

Why would Hawkins ever transfer from Illinois. Y’all crazy

I don't know... A bunch of already rich professional golfers went to work for a murderous regime forgoing participation in the major tournaments for a few Benjamins. Offer him a lot of money and who knows what will happen.

Personally don't think they will be going after the marquee grad transfer types. Most likely they will focus on guys who have multiple years of eligibility. They're still focused on building culture here and it's hard to do that with a bunch of mercenaries,

Reactions: MayneHoya
Personally don't think they will be going after the marquee grad transfer types. Most likely they will focus on guys who have multiple years of eligibility. They're still focused on building culture here and it's hard to do that with a bunch of mercenaries,
I agree. We saw how well that worked out for us with putting all of our eggs in one basket in going after Hunter Dickinson and was left with Cook to play center.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT